Monday, June 29, 2015

Comfort food...is there anything better?

Once upon a time, when I ate "badly" I used to eat this wonderful concoction called, "dirty fries."  It was homemade sloppy joes (ok, ok, sometimes Manwich) over baked french fries, with a pile of cheese on the top.  After I changed my diet, I lost a little piece of myself when I lost my dirty fries.  Alright, a lot of myself...

Fast forward to tonight.  I made homemade sloppy joes and put it over baked sweet potato fries. 

So, here's the deal - the recipe...it's my very own.  When I say that my kids devour it, I really mean they inhale it.  It's clean, no sugar...nothing bad.  I put the kids' sloppy on buns with a little cheese and mine, well, I put over Trader Joe's sweet potato fries with a tiny sprinkle of cheese.  Tomorrow, my leftovers will be over half of a sweet potato...so maybe we should call that a "dirty loaded sweet potato?"  Hm. 

Anyway, you can dress this up or down...however you want it...or keep it the way it is.  This is my tried and true recipe, I've made it over and over again...I sincerely swear by it.  Now, without further adieu, the coveted (at least in my house) recipe:

Clean Sloppy Joes -

1 lbs ground chicken/turkey
1 small onion
1 small green pepper
(brown these all together until the veggies are soft and the meat is cooked through.  Add sea salt, black pepper, garlic and onion powder, as well...all to taste).

2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1.5 tbsp honey
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 cup tomato sauce
3/4 cup water or chicken broth
(add all of this to the meat/veggie mixture, stir well until blended, add sea salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste.  Cover and simmer for a good 15-20 minutes so the flavors mingle).

Serve this delicious sloppy meat mixture over your choice of sweet potato fries, baked sweet potato, or steamed spaghetti squash.  Here is a picture of this yummy goodness:



So, my food today was pretty low, again.  Totally clean, yes, but I missed a couple snacks, but my eggs, banana, grilled chicken with steamed broccoli, and strawberries (I believe 7 of them) all happened today.

Now, what questions do you have?  Do you have any variations to this recipe?  How were your weekends....and what are you doing this weekend for 4th of July!?!   

No comments:

Post a Comment